City of Depoe Bay
“Whale Watching Capital”
Salary Range: $60,000 TO $90.000 annual (DOE)
$10,000 Relocation Assistance
Recruitment Opens: April 27, 2022
Statement of Duties:
- The City Recorder serves at the pleasure of the City Council and is responsible for the City of Depoe Bay’s city administration.
- The City of Depoe Bay Recorder has management and oversight responsibilities for some City programs, budgeting, financial statements, planning, safety, and security.
- Additionally, the City Recorder develops and nurtures working relationships with other area cities, counties, state, federal agencies, and private organizations; and confers with the Mayor and Council to discuss issues, observations, trends, and projects, regarding operations of City government.
Essential Job Functions:
Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Devotes their entire time to the discharges of official duties, attend all meetings of the Council unless excused therefrom by the Council or the Mayor, prepare meeting minutes, and keep the Council advised at all time of the affairs and needs of the City.
- Make reports annually, or more frequently if requested by the Council, concerning all departments of the City.
- Oversees preparation and submission to the Budget Committee of the annual budget estimates and other reports the Council may request.
- Oversees accounting and clerical procedures, City finance records, general ledger, and fixed asset inventory for annual audits. Oversees preparation of the monthly financial statement of City activities.
- Maintains official City records and documents and performs duties of City Elections Officer, pursuant to Oregon state law and City Charter.
- Prepares, or assists in the preparation of grant funding applications upon the direction of the City Council. Administers grants received.
- Conducts personnel management duties of clerical persons supervised, within guidelines and procedures outlined in the City’s personnel rules. Identifies training and developmental needs, manages employee benefits programs, and ensures employment laws are posted and complied with.
- Endeavors at all times to exercise the highest degree of tact, patience, and professional courtesy in their contacts with the public, personnel employed by the city, and all elected and appointed officials, to the end that the highest standards of courtesy and respect are always maintained.
Work is performed under the general supervision of the City Council.
Exercises fiscal supervision over the City budget and expense control, and direct supervision of clerical personnel in the City Recorder’s office.
Education and Experience
Any satisfactory equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which ensures the ability to perform the essential functions of the position is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, such as Business Administration or Public Administration.
- A minimum of three (3) years of professional administrative experience in a local government setting, including budget and personnel management.
- Municipal Clerk experience and Municipal Clerk certification are highly preferred.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of City Charter, policies, resolutions, procedures, and practices; including state regulations, and public processes, especially those unique to the City of Depoe Bay.
- Ability to exercise discretion in communication with the Mayor, City Council, City Staff, committees, and citizens inside and outside the Depoe Bay organization, especially when dealing with conflict situations. Tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality are essential skills for this position.
- Understand the principles/practices of public budgeting, banking, reporting, and personnel management, assigning and supervising the work of others; municipal government powers, functions, organization, and intergovernmental relationships. Familiar with office equipment, word processing programs; office practices, procedures, and methods, knows the legal requirements and procedures involved in conducting elections.
- Typing, filing, word processing accurately and with reasonable speed; must be able to understand and follow oral and written instructions; possess the skill to operate standard office equipment, including general computer skills; ability to deal effectively with frequent interruptions, maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, knowledge of general office practices and procedures, basic record-keeping practices, effective communication skills, deal with the public courteously and tactfully. Ability to operate Zoom equipment for online meetings.
Licenses and Certifications:
All required licenses and certifications must remain in force during the term of employment.
▪ Valid Oregon Driver’s License, basic First Aid and CPR training – or obtainable within 6 months of hire.
Compensation and Benefits:
- The salary range for this exempt position is $60,000 to $80,000 annually, depending on the experience and qualifications of the successful candidate.
- 100% City-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for eligible employees and eligible dependents.
- Participation in the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), with an employee contribution of 6%.
- Paid vacation and sick leave after probation period. Exempt employees shall accrue one (1) additional week (forty (40) hours) of vacation time each year in lieu of overtime compensation and compensatory time off. Partial City-paid life insurance and cafeteria plans are available.
- Ten (10) paid holidays per year.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, you must complete the Veteran’s Preference Form and attach a copy of your DD214/DD215. If you are a disabled veteran, you must also include a copy of your Veteran's Administration benefit summary/award letter along with your application.
While not part of the initial applicant screening, the finalist for this position may be required to pass a criminal history background check as part of a contingent offer of employment. Conviction of a crime may not necessarily disqualify an individual from employment.
The City of Depoe Bay is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sex, ancestry, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, or military status.
Resumes are NOT accepted in lieu of an application.
TO APPLY: Click Apply in this posting to go the City of Depoe Bay Website’s official job posting and download an Application packet
There is also an email address listed on the City of Depoe Bay Website that you can use to submit application materials.