Superintendent of Facilities Management
The City of Newport is currently seeking qualified applicants for the position of Superintendent of Facilities Management.
Pay & Hours Per Week:
- Mgmt. Grade: S09
- Min. Salary: $37.08 hourly
- Max. Salary: $52.82 hourly
- Hours per week: 40
- FULL BENEFIT PACKAGE OFFERED
Posting Date: Monday, March 20, 2023
Closing Date: Monday, April 3, 2023
Department: Public Services
Brief Job Description (essential functions of the job):
- Develops & maintains a multi-year capital improvement plan & maintenance program for all municipal & school facilities; oversees execution of approved projects & implements a system to prioritize maintenance projects.
- Oversees all municipal & school construction projects, including any approved new school or repair projects. Attends evening meetings related to any general government or school construction projects.
- Oversees properties owned by the municipality but leased to private entities; manages the disposition of such properties whether by lease or sale.
- Assumes responsibility for the comprehensive overall planning & scheduling & monitoring of maintenance & repair requirements of municipal & school buildings.
- Establishes appropriate preventive maintenance plans & schedules, security systems & procedures, & custodial requirements for each building & installation.
- Develops data regarding building maintenance costs, energy utilization, & more to facilitate informed budgeting & decision-making regarding operations.
- Directs the maintenance of all buildings as to cleanliness & safety.
- Tours buildings & meets regularly with city & school personnel to ensure service level is adequate.
- Ensures that standards consistent with all applicable laws are maintained at a minimum; establishes environmental compliance programs in accordance local, state & federal environmental compliance regulations.
- Determines & establishes detailed bid & quote specifications pertaining to purchase of supplies, materials, equipment, & contract work; oversees the acquisition, storage & issuance of all custodian & maintenance materials, supplies & equipment.
- Responsible for the purchase, utilization & control of all forms of energy used in municipal & school buildings.
- Reviews, on a regular basis, all physical security precautions & procedures, & recommends additions & changes in service as appropriate.
- Prepares & administers the approved budget for facility maintenance, safety & security including supplies, equipment & personnel.
- Supervises & inspects the improvement & renovation work performed by outside contractors & verifies that the terms of all such contracts have been fulfilled before authorizing final payments; ensures that all contract work is procured in accordance with State law & City procurement policies.
- Oversees the recruitment, employment, assignment, transfer, promotion, demotion, or dismissal of custodians, carpenters, plumbers, plant engineers & maintenance personnel according to terms of the collective bargaining agreements & subject to the approval of the City Manager or Superintendent of Schools, as appropriate.
- Independently travels to various work-related locations.
- Organizes & implements an orientation program on proper operation & maintenance of building facilities for applicable personnel; develops & conducts a continuing program of staff training & personnel development as appropriate for departmental activities & staff needs.
- Oversees all aspects of maintenance & operations of HVAC & other applicable building systems in conjunction with the city & school managerial personnel.
- Conducts a comprehensive & detailed cost analysis program of facility expenditures as a basis governing annual forecast of expenditures.
- Exercises tact, diplomacy & discretion in dealing with complex, issues & situations; & develops productive working relationships with residents, city & school employees & members of the general public.
Minimum Entrance Qualifications:
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in engineering, business, or a related field, with ten (10) years' experience in facilities management (at least five (5) of which shall be supervisory experience) or any equivalent combination of experience & training.
- Knowledge of public procurement laws & regulations; construction & design services contract administration procedures; price trends & grades of quality of materials & equipment; methods & tool/equipment used in the care & maintenance of buildings; hazards & safety precautions common to facility maintenance/repair activities; local government practices & procedures; report writing & preparation; preparation of management of departmental budget; & office automation.
- Ability to manage & direct the activities of large-scale building construction projects; identify short & long range building needs, prioritize projects through development of current year capital budget & long-term capital plans; modify work plans in response to changing priorities or emergencies; ability to plan, organize, direct & supervise the work of department personnel.
- Good budgetary skills; strong negotiation & persuasion abilities; exceptional interpersonal skills; strong organizational abilities & highly detail oriented; superior critical thinking & analytical skills.
- Must have & maintain valid motor vehicle operators license.
Submit resume and/or completed application to: Michael J. Coury, Director of Human Resources City Hall - 43 Broadway Newport, Rhode Island 02840.
An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED DURING THE POSTING PERIOD INDICATED OR AS THE NEED EXISTS FOR THE POSITION CURRENTLY VACANT. APPLICATIONS ARE AVAILABLE IN THE HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICE AND ALSO ON THE INTERNET WHERE IT CAN BE DOWNLOADED AND PRINTED. THE CITY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO NOT CONSIDER APPLICATIONS THAT ARE RECEIVED UNSIGNED, INCOMPLETE, OR POST-MARKED AFTER THE CLOSING DATE.