JCS District Business Manager
Position: JCS District Business Manager
To administer the business affairs of Jonesville Community Schools in such a way as to provide the best possible educational services with the financial resources available.
Jonesville Community Schools is a rural school district offering a wide selection of programming and extracurricular opportunities for our students. We provide employees competitive wages, excellent insurance, and a great culture to be a part of.
- Supervise the financial affairs of the district.
- Develop current budget consistent with Board policy.
- Suggest potential ways of improving cost effectiveness of the district operation from a business operations perspective.
- Assemble short and long-range financial data.
- Establish and supervise a program of accounting adequate to detail all money and credit transactions.
- Supervise all accounting operations.
- Supervise all payroll activity.
- Administer a budget control/reporting system consistent with Board policy.
- Facilitate required audit of the Districts fiscal activity.
- Supervise the receipt and expenditure of school funds.
- Provide timely reporting of income and expenditures for all funds.
- Supervise reconciliation of all bank accounts authorized by the Board.
- Supervise preparation of purchase orders and payment of bills.
- Prepare Board agenda information relative to business-related items.
- Provide for annual appraisal of district buildings and movable equipment.
- Supervise the publishing of:
- required annual report of fiscal activity
- notice of budget hearing & truth-in taxation hearing
- transparency reporting
- Supervise reporting of workers’ compensation claims, unemployment claims and retirement.
- Responsible for filing reports on a timely basis with the Michigan Department of Education related to:
- Special Education expenses
- Food Service
- Title I & additional grant reports
- Insurance, including 125 Cafeteria Plan, Affordable Care Act etc.
- To assist the Superintendent as directed and assist with other matters as requested.
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting/Finance/Business preferred; Experience in Accounts Payable and Purchasing; Background in Accounting; Previous work in a school setting is preferred; Previous experience with Michigan School finances strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
- Must be able to work independently and effectively engage a diverse group of co-workers.
- Must be dependable and trustworthy.
- Must have excellent time-management skills and initiative, ability to juggle multiple projects at once, and must meet all district deadlines.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel.
This position description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required for the job and is subject to review and change at any time, with or without notice, in accordance with the needs of the district. Since no position description can detail all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a job, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a job, reasonably required for its performance, or required due to the changing nature of the job shall also be considered part of the job holder’s responsibility.
- Salary negotiable
- Benefits, medical, dental, vision
Jonesville Community Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, (including sexual orientation or transgender identity), disability, age, religion, height, weight, marital or family status, military status, ancestry, genetic information, or any other legally protected category (collectively, “Protected Classes”), in its programs and activities, including employment opportunities.